This 1 day course provides a conceptual overview and hands-on experience using the ArcGIS GeoDatabase format. The course teaches the basics of GeoDatabases and enables participants to quickly take advantage of the capabilities of this ESRI storage structure. Participants are introduced to both Personal (MDB) and File (GDB) GeoDatabases and use them to store, manage, edit, query and analyse both vector and raster data. The practice sessions and examples cover a range of business cases to put the features of the GeoDatabase into context.
You will learn about:
- The basics of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS).
- What are Feature Datasets and Feature Classes.
- Creating and Using Subtypes and Attribute Domains.
- Using Raster Data in a GeoDatabase.
- Creating and Using Raster Fields and Raster Catalogs.
- Creating and Building both Personal (MDB) and File (GDB) GeoDatabases.
- Creating, Editing and Populating Feature Classes.
- Creating and Using GeoDatabase Annotation.
- Managed versus Unmanaged Raster Data
- Increase you skills and value to your organisation
Made in Australia
Many specialist software courses are developed in the USA. Our course has been built for Australian conditions. Rest assured that we do still adhere to the usual ESRI training standards. The course also appeals to a broad cross section of users from Botanists to Engineers.
This course is for trainees with introductory level ArcGIS Desktop experience. Trainees should also be familiar with Microsoft Windows. The course is limited to the capabilities of the ArcGIS ArcView level of licensing.
- Instructor presentation of topics, concepts and techniques using slides and live demonstrations
- Practice sessions; each student receives a work book that guides them through realistic ArcGIS activities.
- Questions and discussions.
Our trainers have over 10 years of experience and work with GIS every day, they know how to apply the technology to a variety of situations. You can use us to bounce your ideas and help you better understand the software in your situation.
Course participants will receive one month of free telephone support on the course material.
Session 1: Overview of a GeoDatabase
- Brief review of GIS data formats
- What is a GeoDatabase
- Personal GeoDatabase (MDB) versus a File GeoDatabase (GDB)
- Why use a GeoDatabase
- Capabilities of the GeoDatabase and the ArcGIS licensing
Session 2: Using a GeoDatabase – The Basics
- Building a GeoDatabase
- Components of a GeoDatabase
- Feature Datasets and Feature Classes
- Textual Attribute Tables
- Populating a GeoDatabase
Session 3: Using a GeoDatabase – Beyond the Basics
- Extending a GeoDatabase
- Subtypes and Attribute Domains
- GeoDatabase Annotation
- Managed and Unmanaged Raster Data
- Raster Fields and Raster Catalogs
Session 4: Putting it all Together
- Brief review of GeoDataBases
Session 5: Advanced GeoDatabase Features
- Toolboxes and GeoProcessing Tools in a GeoDatabase
- Topology (Brief Overview, ArcGIS ArcEditor/ArcInfo license required)
- Relationship Classes (Brief Overview, ArcGIS ArcEditor/ArcInfo license required)
- Geometric Networks (Brief Overview, ArcGIS ArcEditor/ArcInfo license required)
- Dimensioning (Brief Overview, ArcGIS ArcEditor/ArcInfo license required)